Whether you’re utilizing social networks like Twitter or Facebook or not it’s hard to avoid the buzz that these new social media sensations have created around the world. So, what is all this tweeting about anyway and what exactly is a Tweet Up?
According to www.twitter.com, “Twitter is a free service that lets you keep in touch with people through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?” It’s basically a micro-blog where you can write no more than 140 characters. A Twitter post is called a “tweet,” and “tweet ups” are where Twitter users can meet up for social gatherings.
See Jane Do is holding a Tweet Up for Change or in other words, a party with a purpose in partnership with The Union. Social media not only connects us and enables us to share information at an enormous speed but can also be used to make a positive difference and create social change. See Jane Do is able to connect and share stories with everyday extraordinary people all over the world as a result of using social media sites.
Who Goes to a Tweet Up:
- People who want to meet with other social networkers (i.e. “tweeps” or facebook users) in their community. Everyone is welcome including; people who are new to social networking, twitter experts and even folks who are just curious.
What Will I Do at this Tweet Up:
- In addition to meeting other community members who are making a difference, we’re hoping you will connect with and learn about other people, businesses, non-profits and associations that we can all support through social media sites.
- Guest speaker, Marsha Lanier will demonstrate and discuss how we can use social media to create sustainable and social change, how to use interactive web tools (like Facebook and Twitter) and how to organize effectively and inexpensively online.
- Join social media groups and take away a core list of community-based social networkers.
- Participate in a social media experiment; tweet before, during and following the event. Use this hashtag #seejanedo in your tweet (Marsha will explain what this means @ the event and a few lap tops will be available).
- Have fun!
Where and When is the Tweet Up:
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009
Broad Street Bistro (at the top of Broad) in Nevada City, CA
How Much is the Tweet Up:
- It’s free! Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
Special guest Marsha Lanier is a social media enthusiast with over 2 decades of experience in grassroots community organizing, small business development and fundraising. Marsha has consulted for a wide variety of organizations, and coordinated programs with large universities, metropolitan governments, and urban coalitions. She splits her time between the Gold Country (Nevada City/Grass Valley) and the San Francisco/Bay Area of California.
We look forward to tweeting with you!
Follow us on Twitter @seejanedo or join us as a fan or a friend on Facebook.
How are you using social media to make a difference?
Share with us at SeeJaneDo@kvmr.org.